Monday, June 1, 2009

Camping and Up

Went camping this weekend for the first time in I don't know how many years. It was a pretty good time despite having half of the crew sick. What I did notice, for me, is that I love the night time when camping, and have little to no love for the day time. At night, with the fire, smoke, and cool evening air, life is awesome. During the day, however, the fire loses its magic, the smoke is a hassle, and the air is far from cool. I didn't want to do anything except lay there and wait for the next breeze (which didn't come by too often). Still, it was a good time and it made my weekend seem extra long.

On Sunday, I went and saw Up. Go see it. I remember when Shrek came out and my mom was so thrilled that they had put in so many "adult" jokes into a kid's movie. Up does that even more and take the material outside of the comedic. The first 20 minutes were outright sad and we see Carl's whole life leading up to his being required to move to a retirement home (reminded me of About Schmidt). But the rest of the movie is quite funny, exciting, and touching. Of the summer Blockbusters (of which I've only seen Wolverine and Star Trek), Up should be at the top of your list.

2 comments:

Z said...

You should try swimming during the day when camping. Keeps you cool and it wastes time waiting for the night. I'm going to see Up this Thursday! I love how kid's movies have so many adult jokes, I noticed that during Monsters VS Aliens. I wonder how many jokes I've not noticed in kid's movies when I was a kid...

Becky Daniel said...

Up was incredibly sad the first 10 minutes. I'm in the corner with a quivering lip and blinking my eyes and thinking, "Becky, you can NOT walk out of a Pixar film." But the total experience was very much worth it.