Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm a Mean Old Man

"Mr. Prindle, I hear your all strict this semester."

The student was mine during first semester's General English, one noted by the goods times had by most. Apparently, one of my students that still has me this semesters relayed to her old comrades that I have slid to the stricter side of things. I laughed. To my knowledge, I am the least strict teacher I know. The amount of stuff that kids get away with is insane, and I know that any other English teacher would have destroyed half my kids within the first week. So in my new Composition class, I've instructed that students need to stay in their assigned seats. Everybody's makin' a fuss. It's like I ask them to sit on red-hot shards of glass for an hour.

"Why can't I sit over there so I can talk with my friends?"

I give a stare that I hope comes across as, "Did you just hear what you asked?"

I think the message gets through because they follow up with, "I won't talk. I'll work hard."

"You're absolutely right, you will work hard...from right here, in your assigned seat."

So I've finally done it. I'm a mean teacher. O joyous day!

2 comments:

Z said...

Oh, wow. I found the comment box! Oh, and wow. Really? You are sooo strict, sarcasm by the way. My fellow students truly make me disappointed.

Crunchbitegod said...

Knowledge is a concept hard to grasp for some, and even harder to work for. How ever I can't imagine you beaing "mean". I don't really think making them do their work is "mean" either. Kids these days.