Monday, May 4, 2009

Rage is Sad

On the corner next to the downtown movie theater, there frequently stands a man with a cross. Every Saturday night, members from a local church stand downtown and preach out warnings to those who might indulge in the less classy forms of entertainment. Typically, I hear a cross-wielding man say things like, "Think of the things you can catch from just one night of pleasure. Is it worth it?"

I've always thought it a weird thing to preach about in front of the movie theater. If that's the message, I'd mosey down to the strip club a few blocks away.

Regardless of the message or the methodology, I feel a sense of pity and admiration. First of all, they are acting on something they feel is right. In a way they have deemed appropriate, they stand at the corner and throw out John the Baptist's message of "Repent." For that, I admire.

This last weekend, though, I began the feel the pity. Often, this preacher is approached by the rudest of the rude. They laugh, swear, mock, question. As my wife and I walked by on the way to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine (I'll talk about this tomorrow), I heard the voice of the angriest observer.

"Where the fuck did Adam and Ever come from?"

There was nothing casual about the question. It was yelled, spat out in contempt. A friend added, "Where did God come from?"

"Yeah," the antagonist yelled. "Where the fuck did God come from?"

The man with the cross (more admiration) didn't get angry at all. He responded with quick little bits that his attackers wouldn't hear.

As I walked on, the pity fell on me. These scoffers won't listen. They never will. They are likely to never accept the idea that God has always been and will always be. They aren't looking for truth. They search for the lies and the lies only. For what reasons I don't know. Unless the receive a Paul-esque experience (the Almighty Christ knocking them to the ground and blinding them), they are likely to stand outside of the new Jerusalem and still bellow, "Where did you come from?"

2 comments:

Crunchbitegod said...

But who are you to say that God is the truth? Don't you have just as much proof that God exists, as they do that he doesn't? Obviously they didn't take this in a intellectual approach, and I can agree that they seem like pompous ass holes. I'm not saying there is or there isn't a God; I preach uncertainty. I wish people would stop trying to push their views out there, and that other people would stop trying to refute those who are pushing. It's all become a really big talent show really. I don't really see the good that comes from all this commercialized religion...

Z said...

I've been around the cross guy when people are harassing him. No opinion will go without arguments. It's just human. I don't agree with everything he says and I don't appreciate him when he yells that everyone is going to Hell. I do believe he has the right to believe what he wants, but to shove it down movie goers throats is not right. If people want to find God, they will do so on their own.