Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Writing for Fun

It's a weird thing, writing for fun. For over two years, I've worked here and there on little writing projects that have ranged from my Substitute Chronicles and short stories to my attempting a full-out novel. I've loved it. It's a great time. However, as I work closely with my stupendous writer friend, I realize a massive difference: I don't know what I'm doing. I don't mean that I don't know how to write, though I could make the case as my writing are dwarfs to his Balrog. I mean, I don't know what I'll do with anything if I ever get it finished. I have no goal or vision for my pieces.

I guess this is an issue with a lot of my hobbies. Whether it's writing, photography, music, or otherwise. Because they are fun, I lack serious motivation for any of them. I've never sincerely thought of making money off of any of my hobbies, and therefore, I stagnate or switch from one thing to the next without much thought to what will happen to my creations. They stay with me, I know that. My first sci-fi novel attempt floats in my brain a couple times a week, but I've not the foggiest on how to work with what I have.

I suppose that the pure pleasure of doing things is enough to continue in them. But it would be nice to feel a bit more driven.

1 comment:

Z said...

You should be a comedian. I'm not going to quit bugging you until you become a big time comedian/novelist! Is that enough motivation? You can borrow my motivation of eventually having an incredible series of books which will attract some creepy stalker fan. (-_-)