Wednesday, April 8, 2009

D.C. Trip Part I

The alarm went off at 3, but I had been awake for most of the night. It was like going to camp when I was a kid: early to bed, can't fall asleep, wake up twice an hour once I finally drift away. I got up and was surprised that I wasn't dead to the world.

I was at the school by 3:45, loaded up some kids and began driving to Omaha. It was silent the entire drive. The students I hauled were unknown to me, so I couldn't drag any info from them. We exited earlier than I normally do, following the caravan of six other cars. The street was closed due to construction and there were no detour signs. We drove for an extra half hour, turning, stopping, complaining, freaking out.

I wanted to get back on the highway, but the exit we took doesn't have an on-ramp to get onto the highway again. The only way I could think of would be to drive back down the highway the opposite direction, but I didn't know how long it would take, and time was slipping away. We finally found the secret passageway through the streets of Omaha that got us to downtown, and I led the folks to the airport from there. We drop kids off with less than half an hour before our flight was to depart.

We got back at almost midnight, leaving me wasted and will probably kill me as I go to Aikido and volleyball tonight. But I must away.

No comments: