Friday, April 17, 2009

Toaster Pastries

My wife bought some organic toaster pastries. They're pretty awesome, but I've noticed something really strange on the box. It's not the microwave timer (Brian Regan points out the Pop-Tarts are to be microwaved for three seconds. These are at least ten), it's seems weirder than that. On the side of the box, there is a list of qualities.

0g TRANS FAT
ORGANIC FRUIT
VEGETARIAN

Is there a non-vegetarian toaster pastry? I can't imagine waking up and sliding in a bacon and eggs Pop-Tart into the toaster (I shudder to think that they have probably tried). So was this company really just trying to add to the list.

I'm a fan of the organic trend, but I can't help but notice how dumb some of it has become. People seek to buy what they've always had and think that it will make them healthy as a direct result. Take ice cream. Just because it's organic doesn't mean it's good for you, you'd just be organically fat. Similarly, emphasizing vegetarianism doesn't make things healthier either (as my wife and I frequently say at our church potlucks).

No comments: